The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at
home in the bosom of my family.

-Thomas Jefferson


Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Post Perennial Narcosis


My mission president coined that term for the almost drugged-like condition hundreds of missionaries experience after having eaten a nice, Mormon-made starchy meal. It's a state of mind I don't dislike. Sure, it's hard to concentrate when my pants feel too tight and I just want to fatdoggit on the couch for a couple of hours...because eating is about the experience. Before, during, and after a meal should be so well orchestrated that the aesthetics of the event is forever engraved in all five senses.

Reality check...everyone should know that the Nick and Miriam family meal times generally do not qualify under said caliber. Three year olds learning about the hilarity of "see food" and conversations that hover around mishaps at the grocery store and knock-knock jokes are cherished but not savored delicately.

Thankfully, Nick and I are strong believers in the division of labor. If somebody wants to cook good food for me AS WELL AS clean up not only the cooking but eating mess...sign me up!! Maybe the only reason we exercise is so that we can eat fattening food, sure, can you blame us?

If you want to experience some of our good eats which result in that pleasant post perennial narcosis, here are some of our favorites that you may want to check out!

1. Blue Plate Diner (Sugarhouse, SLC, UT)
Great vintage atmosphere including a genuine counter and soda fountain from a Mom and Pop diner in good ole' Salina, UT. They serve comfort food in HUGE portions and offer breakfast all day. Our tried and true delight is the Cobb salad and buffalo burger.

2. Red Rock Brewing Company (Downtown, SLC, UT)
We waited almost an hour to be seated here and it was well worth it. Luckily, we browsed through their souvenir items while waiting and learned an awful lot about the beer-making process from their featured book, "Beer in the Beehive, a History of Brewing in Utah". Up until then, we were uninformed that there is a difference between a lager and ale. Once seated, we enjoyed the Four Cheese Italian Dip as an appetizer and it seemed anything coming out of the wood-fire oven looked delicious. The root beer (which I disdain anywhere else) was PHENOMENAL--they brew their own beer, as well as the root type.

3. The Cheesecake Factory (Fashion Place, Murray, UT)
The Beehive State can now be put on the map, she has arrived!! This was another awfully long wait (even in the early evening on a weeknight!) but the caloric intake CERTAINLY made up for it. Fried macaroni and cheese?! I know, it sounds dreadful, but don't pass it up as an appetizer! Any of the entrees are guaranteed to be delectable and plan on one dish for 2-3 people. Of course, the cheesecake it divine. Possible choices (there are probably over 20) are Snickers, Godiva chocolate, white chocolate macadamia caramel, and black tie.

4. Bobcat Bite (Old Las Vegas Highway, Santa Fe, NM)
There are approximately 20 seats and a counter to accommodate diners in this destination location, so aim to come during a meal time lull. The green chile cheeseburgers are famous, with good reason, since they grind their own hamburger from steaks and hand form them into hearty patties.

5. Thai Village (Main Street, American Fork, UT)
Who knew that a little town in Utah County would have such delicious Asian dining? The atmosphere is unique since the building is a renovated Pioneer-esque type house on Main Street. Nick and I favor the take-out to the dine-in only because it travels so well and compliments sitting in front of an action movie (remind me, why is the population of our country obese?).

6. Jak's Grill (Front Street, Issaquah, WA)
If you are planning a trip to Washington, know someone who is planning to go, or if you are anywhere near the state, this is certainly worthy of the effort to partake of the unsurpassed quality of red meat they serve. We have eaten at Ruth's Chris and this is far better than any beef I've ever had. Arrive early and while waiting, visit the used book store in the shopping strip mall across the street.

7. Happy Sumo (Gateway, SLC, UT)
This is the famed location of the blind date Nick and I went on, so chalk it up to good food or chemical compatibility it's a great place. The decor is new age complete with concrete floors, draped sheer fabric, and unfinished ceilings. The rolls are unique and our favorite is the Vegas Roll. We have successfully duplicated many of the basic rolls they offer in our kitchen, but the deep fried ones have proven untouchable to the ammeters we are.

P.S. The displayed photo is Nick bravely downing an entire squid from his seafood dish at an Asian restaurant in Seattle, WA.

4 comments:

Lula Mae said...

You have to try the Foundry Grill at Sundance. It's one of Colby and my favorite places to eat.

Gretchen Alice said...

Whoa, I had NO idea there was a Cheesecake factory coming to town! I know where I'm going when I come home next.
Nick, you are very brave for downing that squid like that. Props to you.

Just Me said...

I think of you all the time when I am in the kitchen. Somehow food and Miriam go together in my mind. I often think back to the special egg rolls you so kindly traveled from Albuquerque to Provo just for little ol' me. One day, maybe not tomorrow and maybe not the next, but one day I will try my hand at those babies. I fear never being able to live up to the memory of the delicious taste you brought me.

mother of boys said...

Ohh, sounds delightful. I can hardly wait until we visit next so we can try some of these. Laramie and I love good food too. Thanks for sharing.