The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at
home in the bosom of my family.

-Thomas Jefferson


Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Truth is nobler than a crown"

My sister, Anna, believes in what she refers to as "Baby School" and "Kid School". These are the innate institutions of higher education for our little ones. Nobody taught a baby how to spit out food, thus covering mommy in strained carrots--Baby School taught him that. Little boys think passing gas is funny--hey, thanks, Kid School. Drama queen for a little girl? Oh, yeah, that's a class at Kid School, too!

Being the mother of a three year old, I often find myself pondering on the development of childhood virtues--how much of what she does comes from Kid School or from what she sees in her environment? When she comes to me as her face is covered in pilfered chocolate it is her instinct to deny that she has ever eaten anything her entire life without asking first--especially not something containing sugar. Or when she tells me, "Mom, don't look at me right now" because she's about to do something naughty. When there is a mess in the toy room she is certain that it was made by a friend--although they haven't been over to play in weeks.

I just don't have it in me to tell her about the blatantly telltale signs of her mischievousness--then she might wipe her face after she sneaks chocolate or just to do the naughty deed quietly.

I hope that she never learns the "art" of sneakiness, I hope that Stealth is not a class offered at Kid School. I'd much rather her alert me of her plan to sneak out as a teenager so that I can lovingly intervene beforehand. However, how long can I shelter her in our safe family bubble from the absolute filth of deceit that awaits her outside our door? This dishonest environment creates fraudulent businessmen, prompts backroom political deals, and teachers who help their students cheat on federally mandated tests.

Rest assured that we mothers also have ample amounts of "secrets" --things we learn at Mommy School. Some of the best kept ones are the simple God-given gifts bestowed to all of us who embark ignorantly on the best ride of our lives known as Motherhood. These are things like unconditional love, genuine thrill in receiving crumpled drawings, snuggling up warm in bed with a pile of books, and more utilitarian skills like cleaning poopy panties in Home Depot restrooms. However, Mommy School is not nearly as fun as Kid School. There are no sick days and tardies are unacceptable. The worst part is that grading is a NIGHTMARE since we are own cruel judge.

However hard I am on myself based on my own view of my mothering as well as what I interpret others' views on my mothering, I feel confident in my "fierce" mother instinct (citing a friend's choice adjective). Daily I'm on my knees learning from my exemplar Parent. I am supernally grateful for His guiding hand as I am such a recent graduate from Kid School myself. As the one who is given the opportunity to nurture, I can gladly say that I waste and wear out my life in keeping my daughter close to me during these tender developing years. These slightly naughty (but not malicious) moments are, in my eyes, prime moments where she is clearly defining the nobility of truth and honesty.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

Yay for blogs! I'm so sad that we've wasted so much time NOT hanging out since you're so close. We'll have to more often in the next few months before I turn into a Southern Belle.

Just Me said...

First of all, I think Zachary got switched up at kid school on the days that the girls learned about being a drama queen and the boys were giggling about gas. I would have to contest that my son is the biggest drama queen around. Second, ahh the joys of motherhood and 3 year olds and potty training and all that comes with every age and stage. I think one of the most needed things in motherhood is friendships with other mothers. Being able to talk about and share experiences helps us get through the most trying times. Like maybe, potty training?

Marissa said...

Hey guys! I'm so happy to have found your blog so we can all keep in touch! Alli is adorable, and I'm sure it's a joy to take care of her. This was a beautiful post. Check out my blog at mamasparkles.blogspot.com

Gretchen Alice said...

That Anna is a wise woman! Alli cracks me up--keep the stories coming!